FAQs about the 2018-20 contract

OEA 2018-20 Collective Bargaining Agreement FAQ


These are questions submitted by members that are related to our Collective Bargaining Agreement. We will continue to update this page when new questions are received.

How are supplemental stipends such as Department Head and High School Band
calculated in our new CBA?
Supplemental contracts are no longer calculated as a percentage of the first cell of the salary schedule. For the first year of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the dollar value of a stipend from the 2017-18 school year is increased by 3.1 percent.  In the second year of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the stipend is increased by an additional 1.9 percent or the rate of inflation (whichever is higher).


Does the new base salary schedule include what the district gives us in benefits?

No. The base salary schedule is what you receive in compensation for a 180 day contract year. Your base salary is divided into 12 equal, monthly installments.


How much does the district give us in benefits?

This varies depending upon your FTE (full time versus part time), but the dollar amount of benefits the district provides is roughly 24 percent of your base salary.


Will the new pay increase be reflected on my September paycheck?



How do I calculate my per diem rate of pay?

Take your base salary on the salary schedule and divide that number by 180. This gives you your daily per diem rate of pay. To determine your hourly rate of pay, take your per diem rate of pay and divide it by 6 (other districts have a divisor of 7 or 7.5, so our divisor of 6 gives us a higher hourly rate of pay).


What happened to the 26 Optional Days we had in our last contract? I understand they shifted to our base salary, but what does that mean? Do I have to do extra work to get that compensation?

Optional days (also referred to as “deemed done time” in other education associations) have been a way for districts to recognize and pay for the additional work that all certificated staff members do throughout the school year and into the summer. It is a recognition that our seven hour and thirty-seven minute work day does not necessarily stop at seven hours and thirty-seven minutes. Although the 26 days (prorated depending upon FTE) was paid in 12 equal installments, a signed affidavit was required to be submitted by members at the end of the school year. This affidavit was required in order for auditors to not view the payments as a gift of public funds.

Optional days have always been “optional”. If a member did not want to work past the seven hour and thirty-seven minute day during the school year, that could be reflected on the signed affidavit.

Shifting the optional day compensation into the base salary schedule benefited members in three ways:

  1. No affidavit needed to be signed at the end of the school year.
  2. Members no longer have to have a response to a building administrator who says “Use your Optional Days for that work”.
  3. It significantly increased our hourly per diem rate of pay which we get for additional paid activities such as staff development.

You do not need to work additional hours in order to receive your previous optional day compensation. The compensation is now in your base salary which represents a 180 day contract.


What about Curriculum night, Math night, Dr. Seuss night, and my school’s carnival? I used to go to those because I was using my optional day hours and getting paid for my time. What do I do now?

The compensation you received in optional day pay is still there (now located in your base salary). You can continue to go to those activities or not go. As always, those activities have been optional because you cannot be required to work outside of your 180 day contract, except as noted in the Collective Bargaining Agreement (ie, staff meetings). A building administrator can choose to allow staff to timeslip for those activities or not. Whether you choose to work beyond your contract day or not is up to you. The extra compensation you received last year for additional work is still there. You will get the compensation whether you work extra or not, and no affidavit needs to be signed.


Why don’t we have a new copy of the Collective Bargaining Agreement yet?

The OEA bargaining team and the district bargaining team continue to update the contract with new language that has been bargained and purging out old language that is no longer relevant or in line with state and federal laws. This process will take some time. In previous bargains, we have had the month of June and into the summer to prepare the language in the new contract. Since we bargained through the summer, the timeline has been pushed out. Approximately 95% of our new Collective Bargaining Agreement is the same as our previous CBA. If you have questions about the CBA, please speak to your building rep.


What section of the Collective Bargaining Agreement deals with hours worked?

Required hours for your base salary can be found in Article III, Section 10. There is additional information in Article III, Sections 12-17 about extra hours such as extended contracts, rates of pay, and experience days. These sections are currently being updated. If you have questions about these sections, please contact Adam at the OEA office.


What section of the Collective Bargaining Agreement pertains to Optional Days?

We no longer have Optional Days, so that language will be purged out. We do have additional Tech/Safety optional hours. An affidavit will need to be signed at the end of the year (just like we had for Optional Days). The language about Tech/Safety hours will be added to the new contract. If you have questions about Tech/Safety optional hours, please contact Adam at the OEA office.


Do the days we worked in August as Optional Days still pay out or is the payment rolled into this new contract?

Any optional day time that was worked in August would be a part of the 2017-18 contract and would be reflected on the affidavit you signed at the end of the school year. Most members have used their optional time by the end of the school year, but it is possible that some members do some of that optional work in August prior to the end of the contract year.


What part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement talks about the length of the school year?

Our Collective Bargaining Agreement does not speak to the length of the school year. We sign a contract for 180 days of work (prorated by FTE).


What part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement deals with parent nights and extra work outside of our contract day?

Our Collective Bargaining Agreement does not speak specifically to “parent night”. It does speak to the fact that you cannot be required to work outside of your regular contract day (unless otherwise specified in the CBA; ie, staff meetings). We do have additional compensation for additional optional work such as staff development, work covered by stipends, working on community councils, etc. These extra pay for extra work opportunities are spread throughout the CBA. Some are paid at curriculum rate and some are paid at your higher per diem rate of pay.


What do I need to do to obtain my total compensation (not just my base pay) as shown in the charts on the OEA website?

  1. You will need to work 180 days (or the equivalent based on your FTE), or use appropriate personal days and personal leave (sick leave, bereavement leave, emergency leave).
  2. You will need to work the Tuesday before students return to school.
  3. You will need to attend the October training day.
  4. You will need to complete 36 hours of staff development (this includes technology staff development).
  5. You will need to sign an affidavit stating you worked 28 hours in the area of technology, such as using email, Schoology, IEP online, Skyward, etc. If you spend 9 minutes per day outside of your regular contract on such activities during the student school year, you will have fulfilled the obligation for this additional pay. This pay is recognition for work that educators have done in the past without compensation. Now there is compensation for those activities.

If you have more than 21 years experience, you will need to turn in a timeslip for the appropriate number of “experience days” as outlined in our contract.